The Facebook pixel is a snippet of code that tracks visitors on your site and the actions they take. The three primary advertising features the pixel enables are:
- Conversion Tracking – See how your ad is performing by seeing what actions website visitors took as a direct result of your ads
- Optimization – Automatically optimize your ads toward people more likely to convert on your site
- Remarketing – Serve highly targeted ads to people on Facebook after they leave your site without converting and get them to come back
Here’s how to create a Facebook Pixel to accurately track the results of your Facebook and Instagram ad spend
- Go to https://www.facebook.com/ads/manager/
- In the top left hand side of the screen, click Ads Manager > Pixels in the dropdown menu
- Click the green Create a Pixel button
- Give the pixel a name – you can have only one pixel per ad account so choose a name that represents your business and then click next.
- On the next page, click Cancel in the bottom right and your pixel is created.
- Finally, you need to add the pixel to your website. Click the platform you use below for a setup guide or request a new integration in the comments below.
BONUS: Once you have the pixel installed on your website you can verify that it is set up correctly and passing the appropriate data by using the handy Facebook Pixel Helper plugin. Download it here (Chrome only) and for any help using the plugin, Facebook’s documentation can be found here.