Are your Instagram and Facebook accounts linked? When we say “linked,” we don’t mean sharing a URL on your Facebook Page that directs Facebook users to your brand’s Instagram account. There is a way to officially link both accounts in either Facebook or Instagram!
If this is news to you, there’s a good chance that your accounts aren’t linked. But here’s the best part: when you link the accounts you gain access to a ton of features like sharing posts and pictures between your accounts, sharing ads from your Facebook Page to Instagram, getting access to Instagram Shopping (learn more about that here), and managing your organic and ad comments and messages from both platforms all in one place (learn more about that here). Sounds pretty great, right?
Before you can get started, make sure that the person linking the accounts has the following:
1. Admin level access to your Facebook Page.
Note: Click here to learn how to change and manage roles for your Facebook Page.
2. An Instagram Business account.
Note: If you’re still using a personal Instagram account, you can continue with the steps below. At a certain point, you’ll be prompted to make the switch to a Business account. If you want to tackle this step before getting started, you can do so by following the steps listed here.
In the digital marketing world, there’s usually more than one way to get something done. To link your Instagram Business account and Facebook Page, you can do so either in the Instagram app or in your Facebook Page’s settings.
Now that you’ve got all the details squared away, it’s time to get linked! Let’s start with linking Instagram to Facebook. Scroll down a bit if you’d prefer to get the link set up in the Instagram app, which is a mobile experience.
How to Link Your Instagram Account to Your Facebook Page
Follow these steps for this desktop-friendly method of linking your accounts:
1. Open your Facebook Page.
2. Select “Settings” from the top menu.
3. Next, you’ll be directed to your settings home screen. On the left-hand list of options, select “Instagram.”
4. Now that you’re in the setting section for Instagram, it’s time to get linked! To add your Instagram account to your Page select “Connect Account.”
Note: If you do not have an Instagram business account, you will be prompted to convert your personal account to a business account.
Heads up: a new window will pop up that will prompt you to enter your Instagram account’s login information. After you’ve entered your account’s user name and password, select “Log In.”
BOOM! Just like that, your Instagram account and Facebook page are now connected. To make sure your Instagram account successfully linked to your Facebook Page, head back to the Instagram tab in your Page’s settings. Here you’ll see your Instagram account’s information, which will look like this but with all the relevant details filled in:
How to Link Your Facebook Page to Your Instagram Account
Follow these steps to link your accounts in the Instagram App:
- First, open the Instagram app and head to your Instagram profile.
- Next, select Edit Profile.
- Your profile information will then open. In the Public Business Information section, select Page.
- Here you have three options. You can create a new Facebook Page, connect an existing Facebook Page, or exit. To connect your existing Facebook Page, select “Connect Existing Page.”
- After you’ve selected “Connect Existing Page,” you’ll see a list of Facebook Pages that you have access to. Each Page that you’re connected to will display a bit of information. Pages that are eligible to be linked will have the Page’s profile image, Page name, Business type, and the number of likes. This information will help you make sure that you’re connecting to the correct Page. Additionally, Pages eligible for linking will have an empty circle next to them. If a Page isn’t eligible to be linked, an “i” will be inside the circle and the connected Page will be listed under the Page name. After you’ve found the Page you want to connect to, tap the empty circle to the right of the Page’s details. Then, tap done in the top right corner after you’ve selected the page.
To make sure your account is successfully linked, navigate back to your Edit Profile screen and under Business Information you’ll see your Facebook Page selected.
Voilà! You’re linked.
Now that you’ve gotten your Facebook and Instagram accounts linked you’ll be swimming in new features! What’s your favorite feature that unlocked when you linked your Facebook and Instagram accounts?
Tell us in the comments!