Adding the Facebook pixel to your WordPress or WooCommerce site is one of the most important first steps to make when you’re ready to start advertising on Facebook. The pixel is a snippet of code that tracks visitors on your site and the actions they take.
The three primary advertising features you unlock when you add the Facebook Pixel are:
Conversion Tracking – See how your ad is performing by seeing what actions website visitors took as a direct result of your ads
Optimization – Automatically optimize your ads toward people more likely to convert on your site
Remarketing – Serve highly targeted ads to people on Facebook after they leave your site without converting and get them to come back
Fortunately, WordPress Plugins make adding the Facebook Pixel to your site so easy that you’ll be able to do it yourself in under 5 minutes even if you have no technical experience.
Follow these 7 easy steps:
1. Log in to your WordPress Dashboard and go to Plugins > Add New
a. We recommend the Facebook Pixel by PixelYourSite plugin, but if you have any questions about compatibility we always recommend double checking with your developer before installing.
2. Using the search bar on the top right hand side of the page, search forPixelYourSite and install the plugin. It should look like this:
3. After the plugin installs, click the blue button to Activate
4. Click the PixelYourSite link in the left hand navigation of your WordPress dashboard to go to the plugin settings.
5. Copy and paste your Facebook Pixel ID into the box as shown below:
6. TIP: Check these boxes to avoid having your pixel track internal staff and developers. This way, you won’t skew your data or waste money retargeting yourself.
7. Scroll down and check Activate Plugin General Settings, then click the Save Settings button.
Don’t know your Facebook Pixel ID? No problem, follow the steps below to find it:
Log in to Facebook with the login that has access to your Facebook ad account
Ensure that the account shown in the top left is the correct account
4. Locate your Pixel ID on the right hand side of the page
5. Copy the Pixel ID and paste it into the PixelYourSite plugin settings.
Running a WooCommerce Site?
Great, this plugin works well for setting up the dynamic events needed for advanced ecommerce advertising on Facebook. Just set up these additional settings:
1. Navigate to the WooCommerce tab in the PixelYourSite settings and check the box for Enable Facebook Dynamic Product Ads
2. Leave all other settings on the page as is and check the Activate WooCommerce Pixel Setttings box at the bottom of the page, then click the blue Save Settings button.
BONUS: You can verify that your pixel is installed correctly and passing the correct data by using the handy Facebook Pixel Helper plugin. Download it here(Chrome only) and for any help using the plugin, Facebook’s documentation can be found here.
Chris Root is a co-owner of eBoost Consulting and works out of our Boulder, CO location. He writes primarily about social advertising and gets overly excited when Facebook releases new targeting capabilities.
eBoost Consulting helps great companies grow through search and social paid advertising. Since 2005 our team of digital marketing experts has been running highly successful digital marketing campaigns with a focus on innovation, results and customer satisfaction.